Mid 60's to low 70s mostly cloudy
Performed the anesthesia SOP with insulation on the treatment tub. Weather permitted me to not have to use a tarp or ice blocks. There were no brooders in any population. This is due to the incredibly high innundation of mussels. I cleaned off 95% of the mussel and barnacle mass on the trays and oysters. Hopefully this will allow the animals to feed and reproduce freely. The fouling mass that I removed weighed almost 20 lbs. It was quite impressive. I suggest checking this tray again in September as well as having a general clean up for the other two trays since there would be a lot of mussels on them as well. Surprisingly there were no dead animals as well. I assume the mussels just inhibited reproduction but not feeding. Also relaunched the hobo logger that I thought was possibly damaged. It works fine as of Tuesday (8/12) so we'll check it in the future.
Numbers as follow.
Temps in C
Salinity in ppt
Pics have tube label and calipers on tile with closed animals. All other tiles are gaping.
|This is what a summer of field work does to new boots.|